Friday, December 18, 2015

Star Wars Style: The cozy side of the Force

Happy Star Wars day! Today is the official release day for Star Wars: The Force Awakens! I got to see it at the "midnight showing" - at 10:30 last night. I'm not sure if that really qualifies as a "midnight showing" technically speaking. But I'm not actually complaining, because it was totally worth the temporal displacement. I'm not super into spoilers, so I'm not going to say anything about it at all except that I liked it.

What I really want to share with you is two special Star Wars projects I made recently in eager anticipation of the new movie!


Dark Side Headband

This is a basic ear warmer-style headband. It's super cozy since the "DARKSIDE" design is double-
stitched onto a black band that was knit in all once piece.

I've been rationing a ball of Bernat Glow In the Dark yarn I got years ago. It's been discontinued for a while, but I've been able to eek out a few neat pieces, including a TARDIS hat I made my sister. It's one of my favorite yarns, and I'm running out. There's glow yarn on Amazon right now, but it looks a little pricey, so I'm thinking I'll try to make my own glow yarn using some tips I've seen online. Who doesn't love experimenting?

I kinda just winged it with the design. I already had the basic black band from last winter's unfinished project. I used some graph paper to plan out the letters, and then I stitched them onto the band, and then I stitched the glow background around the letters.

free printable pattern

Creative Commons License

That's no hat...Death Star Beanie

So, the night before we went to see the movie - some might call it "The Force Awakens Eve" - I realized I hadn't planned any projects to bring with me to work on while I sat in line for the premier. Then, by some kind of divine inspiration - perhaps I was feeling the Force? - I realized that the Death Star is the perfect shape for a beanie! Why don't we see more Death Star beanies? That seems like an imbalance in the galaxy, so I sought to rectify that.

This was a really easy pattern that worked up super fast. Simple + fast = perfect waiting-in-line knitting project. I had some sparkly
lace thread hanging around my house, so I used that to make the different panels stand out from each other. I tried to capture the blocky panels on the Death Star by alternating purls and knits, and threw in some slipped stitches to separate the levels. I used a picture of the Death Star for reference, but I mostly just made it up on the spot.


My plan is to create some little bright green lazers to shoot out of the Superlaser focus lens...



Creative Commons License

2 comments:

  1. it is telling me your pattern for the death star beanie is in your trash and cannot be downloaded

    ReplyDelete
  2. says both files dont exsist on my end

    ReplyDelete